When : Spring 2015.
As a part of Antioch Univervisty New England’s (AUNE) 50th Anniversary, an event was put on to raise awareness of human trafficking. The successful event included a strong collaboration between the Support Group for Ethnic and Racial Diversity (SERD) and Written On Your Heart (WOYH) at Antioch University New England in Keene, New Hampshire. Heading up the planning for this event was Jennifer Moniz, a PsyD student (Doctoral in Psyhcology) at AUNE and Lauren Lisembee, a Dance/Movement Therapy and Counseling student.
**This was a multi-faceted event:
Part 1: Encouraging Survivors Through Card-Making and Letter-Writing #makeacardchangealife #wemakecardsbecause #woyh
Part 2: Documentary Screening of Sex + Money covering domestic sex trafficking in the United States
Part 3: Discussion Panel and Community Q&A
- “Mark S. Zuckerman, Assistant U.S. Attorney
- Erin J. Kelly, M.A., L.C.M.H.C. Program Director for Child and Family Services
- Linda Douglas New Hampshire Coalition Against Domestic and Sexual Violence
- Erin Albright, Esq. Anti-Trafficking Regional Program Coordinator for the International Institute of New England
- Dr. Rachel Croteau, family practitioner in Keene with concentration in sexual abuse counseling
- Melanie Sachs, AVAP Member and Domestic Violence Advocate, Written On Your Heart Board Member.
^ Left to Right: Melanie Sachs, Rachel Croteau and Lauren Lisembee
Moderating the panel: Lauren and Devin Lisembee from Written on Your Heart.
Join the discussion: What can be done to solve America’s human trafficking epidemic?”
Highlights: We had over 50 people in attendance over the course of the 4 hour event from 5-9PM and had a lively discussion with the panel members who all work directly with clients who have been trafficked in New England or those who are at a high risk for being trafficked. We also made a ton of cards to send to WOYH’s safe house partners across the country and one of our community board members, Kelly Kingsbury, brought suit cases to donate to WOYH for smoother travel to future events! SERD and WOYH provided the supplies for the card-making portion. There was also a fabulous drawing for a gift basket at the end of the night!
Thanks for tuning in! Until next time,
~Melanie S ♥